Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Zydeco

After posting my parents song last week I went onto itunes and ended up downloading a bunch of the music I heard in my house growing up. I guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic...I got music from The Beach Boys, Cat Stevens, The Troggs, and the Moody Blues. These songs transport me right back to our cozy house with the shag carpet, olive green refrigerator, giant Tiki statues with the music spinning on the reel to reel.

I was so excited to share my music purchases with John and the kids but other than The Beach Boys they were less than impressed. John started recalling the music from his childhood which of course led to another search on itunes, which ended up being very enlightening.


Let me fill you in a little…to this day John is not much of a music person...while he appreciates the greats, like Johnny Cash and The Beatles, he actually doesn't own any music…never has, not one vinyl or CD and in the car he prefers listening to talk radio rather than the noise of typical top 40. You see, John grew up listening to really only one type of music...Zydeco. The sounds of Zydeco music constantly filled his Louisiana home. His dad Steve loved hanging out in the garage smoking his pipe and chilling out to his vinyl collection of Zydeco classics.

John has some very found memories of this music…although it’s not his taste he does appreciate that it is part of his Cajun heritage. Listening to it again after all these years he couldn't help but smile thinking of Steve and wishing he were still here today.

We did a search and found a little taste of Zydeco music straight from the Bayou...enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We dig the Tabasco guitar. Very cool!!