Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Office Project Update

Remember a few months back (ok it was actually 8 months ago)…I posted about my newly acquired office space and it’s work-in-progress status.
Well check out the final product and I have to say I’m totally in love with it!
It was a fairly easy project just a slow one seeing that we’ve all been so busy the last few months. John painted over the giant bug covered walls with a nice taupe color and he refinished the existing shelves in a rich dark chocolate brown color. We thankfully inherited two awesome pieces of furniture from Courtney, the big desk and the leather chair as well as a few desk accessories and one of the desk lamps. My treadmill fits nicely between the two bookselves and has an excellent view of the TV...bonus, plus it's directly under the ceiling fan...which all makes getting in some exercise so much more enjoyable.
A big chunk of my time on this project was spent mainly on organization, which included many late nights sitting on the floor surrounded by piles of paper and photos. I ended up filling the filing cabinet with neatly labeled folders for all our household paperwork and each of the kids now has 2 or 3 color coded folders for all their special school work, awards and other keepsakes. I also organized all our family photos, ranging from my baby pictures to last weeks school play…a huge undertaking which filled 4 photo boxes.
I finally got all my scrapbook supplies and tools organized and all are within easy reach of the desk. So now I'm totally out of reasons not to sit my self down and bust out a few new pages, although with the TV right there it would be much nicer if all my favorite shows like Lost and The Office were still on.
As for decorating…I wanted this room to be a place where I could display my favorite family photos as well as the kids’ artwork and other projects from school (which still need to be framed). I knew the artwork, photos and kids books would add a lot of color to the room so I decided to tone it down by keeping all the other accessories neutral, like the black floating shelves, light and dark brown wicker baskets and the black and white collection of frames.

Over all I love every part of this room and it’s a good chance that if you come over you’ll find me hiding out up there. My most favorite spot is curled up with a good book (like The Alchemist, so far it’s really good) in the big leather chair, while Jack snoozes away on the ottoman.
So to show my gratitude for such an amazing space I have to give a quick shout out to…

My kiddos for their amazing artwork…which is way better than anything I could buy in a store.
Courtney for moving to New York and leaving behind his great furniture…although I’d return it all in a heartbeat if you’d just move back…we miss you!
And most of all to John…who not only is a great painter and furniture mover but his Hobby Lobby discount came in pretty handy these last few weeks.

Thanks guys…and if you need me, I’ll be in my office!!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Lookin' good! By the way, it was so fun to see your mom in those pics... It has been so long! When I saw her picture, i could instantly hear her voice and laugh, loved it!

I'm so glad you guys are going to ry's concert. Spread the word, this is only the 2nd show they've done in Denver, so they pretty much have no following there. We're hoping to get the word out and get a crowd there!!

Burridge said...

Ash we are so excited about the concert and I've been spreading the word like crazy.

If any of you are interested...

Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband
June 14th 9:00pm
at the Soiled Dove Underground
Ticket are $12 - $15

Linds said...

Love the office! Looks fantastic! Wish I had a space like it.

Unknown said...

Did I recommend The Alchemist? If I didn't, why not?