Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fancy Hotdogs

Some of my family's favorite meals have come about when I was missing something that we normally use and was forced to get a little creative. One of those favorites are these fancy hotdogs or as we've started calling them "Wrapped Hotdogs".
It was John's closing night and my kids had requested hotdogs for dinner...a nice easy meal, no problem. I had a package of Hebrew National beef franks...our favorite brand but no hotdog buns. My usual solution to this very common dilemma would be to whip up some mac & cheese with octopus hotdogs...so cute.
Well this use to work when the kids were little but they've decide that they're now too old for my funny recipes anymore...so sad. Anyways, I thought for a second about making hotdog sandwiches...something my mom used to make for me and my siblings when she too found herself bun-less.

Then I noticed a package of Pillsbury breadsticks in the refrigerator... Jackpot! I wrapped each uncooked hotdog with two pieces of breadstick dough...starting in the middle with each piece and working toward the edges. I cooked them according to the settings on the dough packaging and just when the bread started turning golden brown I took them out and brushed the tops with melted butter and sprinkled garlic powder and a little sea salt on each one. Then I returned them to the oven to brown for a few more minutes. These giant pigs in a blanket were so yummy and everyone gobbled them up. I've now made them on three different occasions and each time they've been a big hit.

1 comment:

Linds said...

Yum! What a fun idea, we'll have to try them. So happy you and John had such a great weekend, I agree, time is the best gift.