Every Friday around noon John heads up to the school to have lunch with Cameron and Ashley. He always brings along two Subway kid's meals (turkey bacon subs to be exact) with apples. He also buys six of their huge chocolate chip cookies for Cam and Ash to share with the two friends who are lucky enough to be extended an invitation to sit with them at the special parent lunch table.
Getting picked is definitely one of the highest levels of popularity in the elementary world...it's ranked just below Principal for a Day.
Popularity and special table aside...the kids seriously love those cookies...so much so that they have even nicknamed John "The Cookie Man". When he shows up they all yell "The Cookie Man is here!!" then turn and pounce on our poor kids begging for a coveted spot.
Oh and it's really funny when John runs into one of them at the grocery store shopping with their parents...they'll yell "Hi Cookie Man!" and then try to hug him...it can be pretty awkward for all adults involved.
Anyways...last week I surprised Ashley (Cameron was on a field trip that day) when I showed up at the school...on a Thursday...with a Subway kid's meal in hand. She was so excited to see me but I think that was mostly due to the turkey bacon sub I was carrying. You see it was Thanksgiving Feast Day and I'm sorry but that weird perfect circle of turkey topped with a huge scoop of mashed potatoes drowning in grayish/brown gravy on the other trays looked really gross.
The other kids were actually a little bummed to see me and not their beloved Cookie Man...that was until I produced a small white paper bag containing 3 chocolate chip cookies. At that moment I officially became known as "The Cookie Lady" and further cemented the popularity status of my children...hey whatever it takes right?
Oh and just because he's so cool...they call Zach "The Cookie Dude".
No comments:
Post a Comment