This last Monday turned out to be pretty rainy and chilly and we were having a little Memorial Day get together at our house for my family and the Braaten's. We had a house full so there were kids running in and out all day and our covered deck was constantly full people, chatting and enjoying the protection from the rain. All the while our little robin friend, along with her now constant male companion were flying back and forth from the nest to the fence (totally freaking out my sister who is deathly afraid of birds). I decided to take advantage of the empty nest to check on the eggs who were hopefully staying warm and also snap a quick picture. I climbed up on the railing and extended my arm up over the nest and took a couple pictures but it didn't look like there was anything there and I didn't see the blue eggs I was hoping for...the nest looked empty. Then I zoomed in on the display on the camera and noticed that what I was looking at wasn't actually the bottom of the nest...it was in fact 2 recently hatched, red, featherless baby birds. There were also 2 bright blue eggs tucked safely beneath them. We were all sooo excited and felt like new parents.
Here are the pictures I took this morning, while the little mommy was out hunting for worms. I'm going to try and get a new picture of the babies everyday since these little guys have already changed so much in just 2 short days.
No comments:
Post a Comment