Monday, March 10, 2008

Two sickies and a bum knee

I think all this crazy changing weather is literally making some of us sick. I rarely get sick but I was out of commission on Friday with a sinus infection, ear infection and strep throat...yuck. Thankfully my doctor gave me a big bottle of Robitussin AC (it has codeine in it) so I finally got some good sleep over the weekend. Then yesterday Zach started complaining that his throat hurt, actually he thought he had something stuck in it and gave us all a little scare but this morning he threw up two times, so were pretty sure if there was actually something stuck it's gone now. I'm taking him to the doctor this morning so we'll see if he has strep as well. This is what the poor boy looks like passed out on the couch this morning...
On top of all that Zach hurt his knee playing soccer...we'll it's actually a condition called Osgood-Schlatter disease and it is common in young athletes. It occurs mostly in boys who are having a growth spurt during their pre-teen years...although I think spurt is an understatement in Zach's case. It's when your muscles are growing faster than your tendons (in his case it's the patella tendon that runs through the knee) and it stresses the tendon and playing sports especially soccer can aggravate it causing it to swell and sometimes pull away from the shin bone. You have to understand something about Zach he plays soccer twice a day at school, then has an hour and a half of team practices 3 days a week and plus games on the weekend, where he plays all 60 minutes and is never subbed out. Plus he just finished a 4 game tournament and a 10 week indoor soccer season. So after all that he now he has a large bump under his knee that looks almost like a second knee cap...I know gross. Well he's getting it checked out today but unfortunately the recommended treatment is usually just ice, ibuprofen and rest which he's not looking forward too considering they just had their first spring season soccer game on Saturday...oh and they tied 1-1.

I'll keep you posted and hopefully we can all get healthy...because I'm running out of sick days!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Being sick is the worst... I woke up this morning to a sore throat and I'm just so hoping it is a short lived cold since I can't take much of anything. Sad we missed you guys, I know the fam loved seeing you all, and I hear your kids are beautiful! Hopefully next time I'm in town we can all meet up again.